- 1 How do you package antiques?
- 2 How do you pack and move antiques?
- 3 How do you pack fragile antiques?
- 4 How do you wrap antiques for storage?
- 5 How do you pack antique furniture for storage?
- 6 How do you ship valuable items?
- 7 How do you move collectibles?
- 8 How do I protect my antique furniture when moving?
- 9 How do you transport delicate furniture?
- 10 How do you ship furniture across the country?
- 11 How do I ship an old rocking chair?
- 12 How do you pack antique glassware?
- 13 How do you store antiques?
- 14 Does cold weather damage wooden furniture?
How do you package antiques?
Therefore, begin by tightly wrapping foam padding around the item so it moulds to its exact shape, paying close attention to any delicate areas. Then, wrap the antique in a layer or two of bubble wrap and pack it into its own individual box filled with several inches of foam padding to keep the item securely in place.
How do you pack and move antiques?
How to Move Antiques
- Wrap fragile items in bubble pack, then packing paper.
- Wrap small items in brightly colored tissue so they don’t get lost in the box.
- Pack in a box with other fragile items, using crumpled paper to fill in the gaps.
- Close the box and secure with packing tape.
- Label the box Fragile.
How do you pack fragile antiques?
Crate packing is the preferred method for packing large, valuable, or especially fragile antique items. Crates offer the best protection for these items.
- Choose a box.
- Wrap items in paper.
- Pad with bubble wrap.
- Box it up.
- Label the box clearly as “FRAGILE” and “HANDLE WITH CARE”.
How do you wrap antiques for storage?
Take extra care to prevent any damage to valuable antiques and artwork by wrapping each piece with bubble wrap. Once wrapped, place each valuable into a sturdy storage container — plastic containers are an especially good choice because they’re less likely to break than cardboard boxes.
How do you pack antique furniture for storage?
Wrap furniture for long-term storage. Also, never put furniture into your self storage unit uncovered. Use old sheets, blankets, drop cloths or plastic wrap to cover the pieces and protect them from dust and moisture.
How do you ship valuable items?
Registered Mail is the safest way to send and insure your valuable item. Request Registered Mail at your local post office to receive a proof of mailing and the date and time of each attempted delivery. Registered Mail also allows you to insure your item to up to $50,000.
How do you move collectibles?
In addition to our general packing guidelines, follow these tips when packing and moving collectibles:
- Use acid-free packing paper instead of newspaper to keep print from transferring.
- Use high-quality boxes so they don’t crush when stacked.
- Use plenty of packing materials to safeguard items against any damage.
How do I protect my antique furniture when moving?
You will best protect the surface of your antiques if you wrap it in with soft packing paper or a thin plastic wrap. That way, you are protecting the surface of your antiques from the dust, dirt, moisture, and scratches. Shock protection will keep your furniture safe during the bumpy transportation process.
How do you transport delicate furniture?
Remove any movable pieces from your antique furniture (like decorative finials) and pack them separately. Mark them clearly so they don’t get lost. Use stretch wrap and masking tape to keep doors securely closed and protect the glass. Drape a padded moving blanket over the item and secure it with shrink wrap.
How do you ship furniture across the country?
How to Ship Furniture
- Order the correct-sized shipping box.
- Remove any detachable parts of the furniture.
- Wrap the furniture in Styrofoam.
- Place the furniture inside the box or make a box around it.
- Use polypropylene strapping around the box to keep it intact.
- Measure and weigh the package accurately.
How do I ship an old rocking chair?
Place bubble wrap, moving blankets or both around the entire chair. Be sure to include the wood trim and use a good amount (don’t be shy) of padding to cover the entire chair. For extra cushion, wrap the chair twice and tape it in place.
How do you pack antique glassware?
Wrap glassware items in protective cushioning – When packing glassware (think: highball glasses, wine glasses, flutes, mugs and coupes), wrap and secure each item with a protective layer, such as bubbled cushioning or foam pouch inserts. Stuff packing paper inside the glassware’s opening as well for extra protection.
How do you store antiques?
For proper storage, antiques should be kept in a temperature and humidity controlled location such as a climate-controlled storage unit or within your home. You also want to make sure that the location is protected from pests such as moths, cockroaches, or mice. Another consideration is the security of the location.
Does cold weather damage wooden furniture?
Yes, cold winter weather can lead to damaged furniture if you are not careful. Cold weather and fluctuating temperatures are particularly bad for wood furniture. The wood material contains a certain amount of water, making it pliable. This leads wooden furniture to expand when hot and contract when cold.